The past few weeks have been a period of revelation for me. I once heard a man say that a true friend would bruise a friend in order that his friend won't bleed later. The idea is that by being honest and up front from the beginning may hurt, but not nearly as much as not speaking up.
I realized that I don't bruise people because I'm scared of hurting them. In the past, I have excused this as being a good friend. I recently had the revelation that this mentality is the definition of selfishness, this is my lukewarm-ness.
It's not easy, and it's definitely not fun. However, I compare this discomfort to knowing I could have and should have said or done something from the beginning... That God has asked me to "be Christ" to that person/friend, and I've said that I'd rather be myself. I don't want to be that friend anymore.
There are times I've felt like I'm pretending to be who someone else wants or needs me to be - when all I really need to be is Christ for them... even if it offends. It can all be done in love, with love.
OK, so really this is all about learning to be bold, learning to offend, learning to love, learning that it's not about this world and it's not about me. The Bible clearly states that if we're living this life the way we're supposed to the majority of people will not like us... but there will be those few who are drawn in....
More to come...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post! I like this crazy new you.
ReplyDeletegood post Emily.
ReplyDelete