Saturday, January 2, 2010

You're so Bed, Bath and Beyond

So this it's been a while since I've posted. The last month has been busy with the holidays and household changes. So the title to this blog came from an interesting encounter I had this past month. Here's the story:

On the day before Christmas Eve, it was about 70F degrees outside. My husband got off work early so I met him and a couple of friends for a drink at a wonderful little neighborhood bar by his office called Nomads. I had been running around Christmas shopping, so I thought it'd be nice to unwind, enjoy friends and of course, the wonderful winter weather.

There was another couple at the bar; the woman had obviously had one too many and was there for one (or three) more. She quickly made friends with all of us. Almost immediately I loved her.

I don't know if it was the straightforward, honest inquiry of who we were and why we were there or if it was the clear pain and insecurity when she spoke of her job, family and the upcoming holiday celebrations. She had a slightly veiled insult for everyone at the table, with a hint of buried envy beneath every one.

You may have guessed by now that my insult is the subject line. Everyone at the table, including her boyfriend, was worried that I would be offended by this (she waited till I was away from the table before sharing mine). So I heard it the second time around. Maybe I'm missing something, but I heard more the desire to be clean, nice and organized than an insult.

I don't consider myself Bed, Bath and Beyond.... yet.

So JenniLee, thank you. It was a pleasure to meet you. I'm praying for you. May 2010 be a year full of blessing, love, restoration and Bed, Bath and Beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment